bluejam.net - Web Hosting, Design & Graphics Orange CT Chamber Sponsor - United Illuminating Company

please support our sponsors

Orange Connecticut - A great place to Live and Work! Orange CT Chamber of Commerce
Welcome to the Town of Orange Connecticut! The   Paugusset,   an   Algonquian   people,   once   lived   in   the   area   that   is   now   Orange.   In   1639,   the   Rev.   Peter   Prudden   purchased   the land   from   the   Indians   for   six   coats,   ten   blankets,   one   kettle,   twelve   hatchets,   twelve   hoes,   two   dozen   knives   and   a   dozen   small mirrors.    When    originally    settled    by    English    colonists,    Orange    was    simply    the    northern    and    eastern    district    of    the    now neighboring   city   of   Milford;   however,   by   1822,   the   population   of   the   area   had   grown   to   the   point   where   residents   desired   to form their own separate community, thus forming the town of Orange. The   town   is   named   after   King   William   III,   "Prince   of   Orange".   William   is   remembered   for   succeeding   James   II,   deposed   in   the Glorious   Revolution   of   1688.   James   II   had   been   considered   a   despot   in   Connecticut;   he   had   famously   and   unsuccessfully commissioned Edmund Andros to seize Connecticut's Charter. The   town   continued   to   grow   throughout   the   19th   century.   As   early   as   1848,   a   separation   of   Orange   and   West   Haven   was considered.   It   was   not   until   1921   that   the   two   were   officially   separated   by   act   of   the   Connecticut   General   Assembly   and   the   new city   of   West   Haven   was   formed   out   of   the   southeastern   portion   of   Orange.   This   gave   the   remnant   town   of   Orange   a   very   rural feel,   as   the   bulk   of   the   urbanized   population   was   ceded   to   West   Haven.   In   the   post-war   years,   however,   Orange   began suburbanizing at a rapid pace. Early   roads   through   the   area   included   the   Boston   Post   Road   (now   US   Route   1)   and   the   Derby   Turnpike   (now   Connecticut   Route 34).   The   turnpike   was   originally   an   Indian   path.   A   toll   road   through   Orange,   from   New   Haven   to   Derby,   was   built   starting   in 1800.   The   toll   house   was   located   in   Orange;   tolls   ended   in   1887.   The   New   Haven   and   Derby   Railroad   ran   through   Orange starting   in   1871,   with   a   station   in   Orange.   At   its   peak,   there   were   eleven   trains   per   day   in   each   direction   along   with   one   freight train.   The   advent   of   a   trolley   from   New   Haven   to   Derby   (starting   in   1904   and   running   until   1937)   hastened   the   end   to   rail   service (in   1925).[4]   Later,   the   construction   of   the   Wilbur   Cross   Parkway   and   Interstate   95   brought   highways   through   the   area.   The people,   the   historical   architecture,   the   shopping   and   the   dining   all   say,   "Welcome   to   Orange!"   Our   community   that   is   proud   to be   recognized   as   a   "Major   city   with   small-town   ambiance."   Year-round,   Orange   welcomes   visitors   from   all   over   to   experience what makes our town so great. History, dining, shopping, malls; cultural attractions.

about the town

More information from the Orange Historical Society More information from the Orange Historical Society
bluejam.net - Web Hosting, Design & Graphics
© Orange CT Chamber

please support our sponsors

Orange CT Chamber Sponsor - United Illuminating Company
The Orange Chamber of Commerce is not promoting the 2016 City of Orange Information Guide that is being advertised to local businesses.  The company promoting this publication (New Start Media) is looking for local advertisers, but they are in no way associated with the Orange Chamber of Commerce or the Town of Orange.
If you have any other questions please call 203-795-3328 or eMail Us 
Welcome to the Town of Orange Connecticut! The   Paugusset,   an   Algonquian   people,   once   lived in   the   area   that   is   now   Orange.   In   1639,   the   Rev. Peter    Prudden    purchased    the    land    from    the Indians    for    six    coats,    ten    blankets,    one    kettle, twelve   hatchets,   twelve   hoes,   two   dozen   knives and   a   dozen   small   mirrors.   When   originally   settled by     English     colonists,     Orange     was     simply     the northern      and      eastern      district      of      the      now neighboring   city   of   Milford;   however,   by   1822,   the population    of    the    area    had    grown    to    the    point where     residents     desired     to     form     their     own separate    community,    thus    forming    the    town    of Orange. The   town   is   named   after   King   William   III,   "Prince of       Orange".       William       is       remembered       for succeeding    James    II,    deposed    in    the    Glorious Revolution   of   1688.   James   II   had   been   considered a    despot    in    Connecticut;    he    had    famously    and unsuccessfully   commissioned   Edmund   Andros   to seize Connecticut's Charter. The   town   continued   to   grow   throughout   the   19th century.   As   early   as   1848,   a   separation   of   Orange and   West   Haven   was   considered.   It   was   not   until 1921   that   the   two   were   officially   separated   by   act of   the   Connecticut   General   Assembly   and   the   new city     of     West     Haven     was     formed     out     of     the southeastern    portion    of    Orange.    This    gave    the remnant   town   of   Orange   a   very   rural   feel,   as   the bulk   of   the   urbanized   population   was   ceded   to West    Haven.    In    the    post-war    years,    however, Orange began suburbanizing at a rapid pace. Early   roads   through   the   area   included   the   Boston Post    Road    (now    US    Route    1)    and    the    Derby Turnpike      (now      Connecticut      Route      34).      The turnpike   was   originally   an   Indian   path.   A   toll   road through   Orange,   from   New   Haven   to   Derby,   was built   starting   in   1800.   The   toll   house   was   located in   Orange;   tolls   ended   in   1887.   The   New   Haven and   Derby   Railroad   ran   through   Orange   starting in   1871,   with   a   station   in   Orange.   At   its   peak,   there were   eleven   trains   per   day   in   each   direction   along with   one   freight   train.   The   advent   of   a   trolley   from New   Haven   to   Derby   (starting   in   1904   and   running until    1937)    hastened    the    end    to    rail    service    (in 1925).[4]    Later,    the    construction    of    the    Wilbur Cross      Parkway      and      Interstate      95      brought highways     through     the     area.     The     people,     the historical     architecture,     the     shopping     and     the dining     all     say,     "Welcome     to     Orange!"     Our community   that   is   proud   to   be   recognized   as   a "Major     city     with     small-town     ambiance."     Year- round,   Orange   welcomes   visitors   from   all   over   to experience     what     makes     our     town     so     great. History,       dining,       shopping,       malls;       cultural attractions.

about the town

Orange CT Chamber of Commerce